In partnership with

MAMAs 2016: The winners of the annual MTV Africa Music Awards were announced during a glitzy ceremony

Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Ginger Spice to host Bake Off?

2016-09-26 12:56

Los Angeles - Geri Horner is being lined up to host Great British Bake Off

Hosts Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc recently announced they would no longer front the show after Channel 4 bought the rights to the series as part of a mega deal and Geri has been tipped to replace them. 

A source told The Sun: "Geri is a bit of a curveball idea, but an intriguing one all the same.

"She has always been a huge supporter of Bake Off but bosses face a tough ask to get her on board.

"She's got relatively little presenting experience and has big music commitments.

"But it's the only show that might tempt her to host."

Geri appeared on the Sport Relief special of the show in February.

Hollywood signs three-year deal

Meanwhile, Paul Hollywood has signed a three-year deal with the Great British Bake Off.

The 50-year-old star will appear as a judge on the cooking show for at least another three series after he penned a contract with bosses at Channel 4 for a mystery lump sum. 

Jay Hunt, Chief Creative Officer of Channel 4, said: "Paul really is the star baker - an exceptional talent with a twinkle in his eye. His wit, warmth and wisdom are vital ingredients in '...Bake Off's success. I'm so delighted he's coming to Channel 4."

Richard McKerrow, Creative Director of Love Productions - the creators of the show - said: "We are delighted to confirm that Paul is coming with the tent ready to encourage, inspire and raise the occasional, quizzical eyebrow. Paul's presence will ensure the culture of '...Bake Off' continues in the tent as it makes its move to Channel 4."

The announcement that Paul has decided to stay on GBBO when it moves from the BBC - which has screened the show since 2010 - to its rival Channel 4 came just minutes after his co-judge Mary Berry decided to turn her back on the series out of ''loyalty'' to the BBC.

Mary, 81, said: "My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one. 

"What a privilege and honour it has been to be part of seven years of magic in a tent. I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change."

The future of the programme has been hanging in the balance since it was revealed Channel 4 had bought the rights to the show for an estimated £75m last week.


Recent News

Although a new contract will definitely be concluded for 7de Laan, uncertainty remains over whether it will be broadcast on Monday since Hlaudi Motsoeneng first wants to meet with the producers. Read More »

SABC is getting its very first locally produced telenovela, Keeping Score. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.