In partnership with

Idols auditions to go ahead despite Gareth Cliff drama

2016-01-19 06:00
Gareth Cliff (5FM)

Johannesburg - In the midst of a R25m lawsuit against M-Net, the broadcaster has confirmed that auditions for season 12 of the popular signing competition will go ahead as planned.

Gareth Cliff has slapped M-Net with legal papers pertaining to a lawsuit he intends to pursue after being sacked from the show last week.

M-Net said it fired Cliff on the basis of comments made regarding the Penny Sparrow race debate, which M-Net said while not racist, showed a "lack of empathy".

Cliff's legal team on Friday served M-Net with a notice of intent and on Monday confirmed that their demands had not been met, saying that the lawsuit would be going ahead.

Erik Mabuza, who is part of Cliff's legal team also confirmed that well-known advocate, Dali Mpofu would be lead counsel in the mater.

The ongoing battle between Cliff and M-Net has raised speculation that the show's auditions may be halted. The first auditions are set to take place in Durban on 30 January. However, speaking to The Juice, M-Net's head of public relations, Nondumiso Mabece says this isn't the case. "At this point nothing has changed in the Idols schedule."

On Monday EWN reported Cliff's legal team as saying that M-Net had agreed to remove his name from all advertising material regarding the new season.

-The Juice