The Rock shares a heartfelt message after his puppy dies

2015-09-30 12:06

Los Angeles - Dwayne Johnson is grieving the death of his puppy Brutus.

The San Andreas star, who saved the French bulldog from drowning in his pool earlier this month, is devastated his pet had to be put to sleep by vets after eating a poisonous mushroom in the garden of his Los Angeles home on Monday.

The 43-year-old actor paid tribute to his late puppy on Instagram, writing: "We'll always love you Brutus ... and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute (sic)."

The dog was initially placed on life support, but had no chance of survival as his liver had completely shut down as a result of ingesting the toxic mushroom.

The sad news comes just weeks after Dwayne, who only recently purchased Brutus and another bulldog named Hobbs, was forced to jump into his pool when the black-and-white pup sank to the bottom.

The actor documented the experience on Instagram, sharing a photo of himself soaking wet in his pool with the dogs in each arm at the time.

Read more on:    dwayne johnson  |  celebrities

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.