Queen Elizabeth says she’s ‘proud’ of Meghan as Thomas Markle slams his own daughter

2020-01-19 18:51
 
CHESTER, ENGLAND - JUNE 14:  Queen Elizabeth II si


Cape Town – Whilst Queen Elizabeth has said she’s "proud" of Meghan after the royal family announced a peaceful split, the 38-year-old’s own father has expressed his "disappointment" in his daughter.

The Duchess of Sussex’s father, Thomas Markle, has lashed out at the royal couple for deciding to follow their own path that has seen them stepping down as senior members of the royal family. 

The 75-year-old, known for his critique against Meghan in the media, has slammed the royal couple in a new documentary set to air on Channel 5, Sky News reports.

"This is one of the greatest long-living institutions ever. They are destroying it, they are cheapening it, making it shabby - they shouldn't be doing this," Thomas says a snippet from the documentary that can be seen online.

He went on to call the couple "lost souls" and said he couldn’t see Meghan reaching out to him.

WATCH THE CLIP HERE:

Thomas might soon be testifying against his daughter in court as a key witness after Prince Harry announced in October last year that the royal couple will be suing multiple media publications for their deliberate misrepresentations of the royals.

Prince Harry said the couple would also take legal action over the contents of a private letter that was "published unlawfully in an intentionally destructive manner".

The letter was one Meghan sent to her estranged father that had "purposely misled you [the public] by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words to mask the lies they had perpetuated for over a year".

READ MORE: Mail on Sunday uses public interest defence and calls Meghan's father as key witness as legal battle continues

Buckingham Palace on Saturday night released a statement in which the queen accepted Meghan and Harry’s split from the royal family.

The statement read in part: "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family. I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.

The queen added: "I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family."

Harry and Meghan will, as part of the split agreement, not receive any royal funds and won’t be able to use their HRH titles.  

READ MORE: Harry and Meghan will give up royal highness titles and lose royal funds 

OPINION: Queen Elizabeth just showed her power and Prince Harry his heart 

Compiled by Herman Eloff. (Sources: Sky News, Buckingham Palace, Channel24)

NEXT ON CHANNELX
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.