In partnership with

Thomas Markle says he had no choice but to publish Meghan's letter – here's why

2019-10-07 12:15
 
meghan markle

Cape Town – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced last week that they'd be suing the Mail on Sunday for the "misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018" after the newspaper published a private letter written by Meghan to her father.

In his statement, Prince Harry explained, "The contents of a private letter were published unlawfully in an intentionally destructive manner to manipulate you, the reader, and further the divisive agenda of the media group in question.

"In addition to their unlawful publication of this private document, they purposely misled you by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words to mask the lies they had perpetuated for over a year."

Now, Thomas Markle is coming forward and defending his decision to share the letter, claiming he had no choice, reports E! News.

Talking to the Mail on Sunday, he said, "I decided to release parts of the letter because of the article from Meghan's friends in People magazine," he said.

"I have to defend myself. I only released parts of the letter because other parts were so painful. The letter didn't seem loving to me. I found it hurtful."

Thomas was referring to an interview in People with Meghan's inner circle in which they claimed Thomas is choosing to communicate through the press.

"After the wedding, she wrote him a letter. She's like, 'Dad, I'm so heartbroken. I love you. I have one father. Please stop victimizing me through the media so we can repair our relationship.'" they said in February when the letter was first published.

"He writes her a really long letter in return, and he closes it by requesting a photo op with her. And she feels like, 'That's the opposite of what I'm saying. I'm telling you I don't want to communicate through the media, and you're asking me to communicate through the media. Did you hear anything I said?' It's almost like they're ships passing."

The Mail on Sunday said Thomas denied any claims that he requested and received payment for the excerpts he sent them and said instead that he wants to repair his relationship with Meghan.

"I don't recognize the person who wrote the letter, but I still love my daughter," Thomas told The Mail on Sunday. "All it would take is one phone call, and most of this craziness would stop."

According to Meghan's friends though, he has yet to make that call. "He knows how to get in touch with her. He’s never called; he’s never texted. It’s super-painful."

READ NEXT: Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan file multiple lawsuits against the British press – and Piers Morgan could be next

NEXT ON CHANNELX
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.