Soap star accused of abuse gets trial date

2013-06-11 10:51
London - William Roache will face trial in January over allegations of sexual offences against five girls.

The Coronation Street actor appeared at Preston Crown Court on Monday charged with five counts of indecent assault involving four girls aged between 12 and 16 in the 1960s, as well as two counts of rape involving a 15-year-old girl in 1967.

The 81-year-old star spoke only once during the six-minute hearing to confirm his name, William Patrick Roache, and his case was adjourned until 2 September for another preliminary hearing, which is when he is expected to enter formal pleas.

No unsupervised contact with kids

William's trial date has been provisionally set for 13 January 2014, and the court was told it is expected to last between three and four weeks.

The actor - who has portrayed Ken Barlow on Coronation Street since the ITV soap began in December 1960 - was granted bail on condition he has no unsupervised contact with kids under the age of 16.

Last week, William's lawyer Brian Russell said his client is looking forward to standing before a jury to 'vigorously protest his innocence', and described the allegations as "deeply upsetting".

An ITV spokesperson has said William will not appear in Coronation Street until legal proceedings are over.

Comments

  • Sean Goldie - 2013-06-11 11:11

    Is it just me or do I smell a rat here!!!...after years and years of being in the spotlight this guy is only charged now for his assumed actions....come on man...you mean to tell me that little girls never saw him on the telly before this time and wanted to press charges...maybe he did not have enough money in the bank at the time.....I wonder who is screwing who????????????????????

  • pages:
  • 1