Shekhinah Donnell (PHOTO: Gallo/Getty Images)
Johannesburg - It’s been six years since she shot to fame as an Idols SA contestant and she’s also finally dropped her debut album.
Shekhinah Donnell (23) didn’t win the singing competition back in 2012 but that didn’t stop her carving out an amazing career for herself.
After a string of successful singles and collabs, the Durban-born beauty is topping the charts with hit tracks Suited and Please Mr off her debut album Rose Gold. The Overdose singer tells DRUM more about herself.
1. My style icon is . . . I know it’s a little weird but definitely Amy Winehouse. I just hope to get to that point of wearing cute dresses and heels one day!
2. My go-to dance move is . . . Geez! I guess it’s always a bit of a two-step ’cause I have two left feet, so a two-step always comes through for me.
3. I never leave home without . . . my phone charger.
4. On a Friday night you’ll find me . . . at a show or watching cartoons like Family Guy and American Dad.
5. I’m most grateful for . . . my family – those are my peeps!
6. I’m often compared to . . . Chaka Khan and Jill Scott, in terms of appearance.
7. I can’t stop listening to . . . a lot of things, but at the moment J Cole, Nicki Minaj and IAMDDB.
8. The last gift I gave someone was . . . doughnuts.