Hugh Masekela's life remembered in photos
Hugh Masekela (Photo: Gallo)
Cape Town - Legendary South African trumpeter Hugh Masekela has died after a lengthy battle with prostate cancer.
He was 78-years-old.
The celebrated musician started treatment for prostate cancer in 2008, and underwent surgery in March 2016 when the cancer started to spread.
He went on to cancel all scheduled performances in October, as his health was deteriorating.
Masekela is known for his jazz compositions, as well as for writing well-known anti-apartheid songs such as Soweto Blues and Bring Him Back Home.
WE CELEBRATE HUGH MASEKELA'S LIFE IN PHOTOS:
1. 11 June 2006: Trumpet player Hugh Masekela and his band performing at the Market Threatre during its 30th anniversary.
2. 26 June 2006: Bra Hugh Masekela performing in Sun City during the Melodi International Jazz Festival.
3. 1980: Legendary South African singer Miriam Makeba with fellow musician and ex-husband Hugh Masekela.
4. 20 October 2001: South African musician Hugh Masekela plays the trumpet during a performance at the M-Net Book awards in Midrand, Johannesburg. South Africa.
5. 3 April 2009: Bra Hugh Masekela live at the 10 Cape Town Jazz festival held at the CTICC.
6. March 25, 2012: Hugh Masekela performs live at the Kirstenbosch Old Mutual Summer Sunset Concerts in Cape Town, South Africa.
7. August 9 2014: Hugh Masekela performs during the Oppikoppi festival in Northam, South Africa.
8. South African legend musician Hugh Masekela during the annual MTN Bushfire Festival on May 30, 2017 in Malkerns Valley, Swaziland.
9. July 4 2017: Legendary trumpeter Hugh Masekela was bestowed with a sixth doctorate by Wits University in Johannesburg.
10. August 26 2017: Hugh Masekelduring the DStv Mzansi Viewer's Choice Awards (DStvMVCA) event at the Sandton Convention Centre in Sandton, South Africa.
READ NEXT: South Africa says goodbye to Hugh Masekela