Unathi Msengana (Supplied)
Johannesburg - This Saturday will mark the one month date since the SABC announced that Unathi Msengana has been taking off air.
Unathi was then involved in a debate with a Twitter user who criticised her, and Unathi hit back via direct messages on Twitter.
As previously reported by The Juice, SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago has said that both parties are still in negotiations. He made the point that there is a contract in place and that either party could decide to terminate the contract - meaning that it could be Unathi who is refusing to back down.
Several sources within the SABC have told us that the issue lies in an apology. The public broadcaster wants Unathi to apologise for her actions. In their initial statement, they said that when someone brings the organisation into disrepute, action has to be taken. But it's something that Unathi is refusing to do, only saying that she apologises for the language that she used. "It doesn't sit well with the organisation. She is refusing to back down and hence a disciplinary process is taking place," say our insiders.
Our well-placed sources say that the process is almost at an end and Unathi is likely not to return, unless she has a sudden change of heart and apologises publicly for the debacle. But those close to Unathi say this won't happen. "It's been a month and she isn't about to back down now. Unathi feels strongly about this and won't say sorry just for the sake of it. She was defending her family."